Arabic Style Rice Recipe
The variety of rice used for Levantine cooking is a short grain. The soaking in water process is important as it rids of excess starch.
2 cups short grain rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt to taste.
· Soak the rice in cold water for a minimum of 1 hour.
· Rinse under cold water several times to get rid of the starch then drain in a colander.
· In a pan on medium heat place the oil and when it is hot sauté the rice for 1 minute then add the salt and water.
· Cover and when the water has evaporated (with this quantity about 10 minutes) fluff it gently and remove the pot from the fire and set aside.
· Cover with a kitchen towel and leave it for a further 15 minutes. The steam will continue cooking the rice without over cooking it.
· Serve hot.
· Always soak the rice and rinse.
· Always use equal parts of rice and water or stock.