Cinnamon Swirl Muffins Recipe (video)
Baking muffins is as easy as 1 2 3. Many panic of the thought of attempting to make homemade muffins. The idea of failed muffins is enough to leave them in dismay. I promise you that this recipe is so easy, moist, and delicious but above all it is a fail proof recipe. It will literally take 7 minutes to assemble, 20 to 25 minutes to bake and your family will wake up to a kitchen filled with the aroma of the delightful and sensational cinnamon.
Have a crack at it, experiment and enjoy.
Servings: 16 muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup apple sauce
Sugar swirl topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
* Preheat oven to 180 C, 350 F on fan setting.
* In a bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and vegetable oil until creamy.
* Add the apple sauce and mix.
* Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together then add to the creamed mix and fold with a spatula in a semicircular movement crossing diagonally in the middle in order to incorporate and lock in the air as seen in the video.
* Prepare a medium size muffin tin with the cups and pour in the mix to reach 4/5th of the way using an ice cream scoop.
* Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together then top each muffin with a spoonful of it.
* Use a tooth pick to swirl the sugar topped muffins in a circular motion. This will create sugar streaks within the muffin.
* Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
* Place on a cooling rack then store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days.
* Adding apple sauce reduces the amount of added sugar required and adds a moisture element to the muffins.
* This recipe is a good base for various muffins, experiment with different flavors and or fillings such as blueberries or carrot or pineapple or even super seeds or nuts but make sure when using other fresh fruits to reduce the apple sauce to ½ a cup.
* It is also fabulous with a crumble topping.
Per Serving: 197 Calories; 10g Fat (44.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium.