Summer is the season for quick and easy meals, where nature is at its apex with an abundance of beautiful summer fruit, vegetables and herbs.
Quiches make the perfect picnic food, the perfect light lunch with friends and family and the perfect quick and light dinner with a side of salad.
This dish is so versatile with its endless possible combinations of ingredients. You can combine caramelized onion and goat cheese, tomato and mozzarella, spinach and feta, gorgonzola and leeks, cheddar and onions and many more; let your palate be your drive.
The beauty of this lies where I have demonstrated that if you have ingredients that work well together as a filling and you have a ready puff pastry sheet handy, then you will rock and roll to get this quiche prepared in minutes and at your table at 30 minutes. What else do we need? It's quick, effortless and scrummy, not to mention that leftovers make a great school packed lunch.
Yield: 16 small quiches
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 35 minutes
Baking: 20 to 25 minutes
1 puff pastry block
200 millilitres low-fat 1% milk
Himalayan salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped dill
1/3 cup chopped coriander
1/2 cup chopped parsley
5 chopped green onions
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
· Preheat oven to 200 C fan setting
· Whisk the milk, eggs, salt and pepper then add the all the chopped herbs and parmesan cheese and set aside.
· Roll the puff pastry on a floured board to a thickness of 3 mm.
· Use a circle cutter that fits the size of your cupcake tray.
· Place each disc in the tray and with a fork prick the base several times as this prevents the dough from bubbling up.
· Pour the egg mixture as seen in the photo and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
· When done, remove from the tray and leave to cool on a wire rack.
· Eat warm or cold with a crisp salad.
· You can use any filling you fancy.
· You can bake as one big, but you need to follow the oven temperature and baking instructions for the brie and tomato quiche.
· The baked quiche can be frozen then reheated from frozen covered with foil for about 20 minutes at 180C.
Per serving: 43 Calories; 3g Fat (55.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fibre; 29mg Cholesterol; 70mg Sodium.