Indian Spiced Smoky Aubergine Recipe
Aubergine! As a child, I would always say "no way I am eating that!"
I hated it, hated it and hated any way it was cooked. I can’t really think of a valid reason for why I loathed it. I just simply did. Growing older however I become fond of this vegetable, I just love it.
Grilling the aubergine on the fire adds a smokiness which is impeccable.
This method of preparing the aubergine is so delicious and aromatic, it is a variation from the typical Middle Eastern ways of preparing dips. I highly encourage you to try this one, I promise you will have only satisfaction.
Apart from being delicious, aubergines are healthy and packed with vitamin C, K and B6. They are also loaded with dietary fibres, antioxidants and minerals.
Incorporating this vegetable into a calorie-controlled diet is excellent as it is considerably low in calories. 100 g equals around 25 calories only, eat more of it for a healthy body and lifestyle.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 30 minutes
1 onion chopped
2 1/2 cm ginger
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
* Follow my video instruction on how to grill aubergine.
* Once grilled place in a plate, cover and peel when it is cool enough to handle.
* Finely chop the onion, and grate the garlic and ginger by hand.
* Fry the mix in vegetable oil for a couple minutes then add the chopped tomatoes, spices, chili and salt then sauté for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
* Meanwhile, chop the aubergine as seen in the video and add it to the mix.
* Adjust the seasoning and add the fresh coriander.
* Serve with fresh homemade chapatti.
Per Serving: 792 Calories; 45g Fat (47.2% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 88g Carbohydrate; 28g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 1380mg Sodium.