Chinese Style Sticky Chicken Wings (Video)
Something is comforting about chicken wings, it makes people crave them, including my kids. They are an ideal finger food that is always welcomed at parties, gatherings or just for the family.
This recipe is so tasty that you really need to stop yourself from finishing the whole plate-seriously-. The marinade has the perfect balance between salt, sweet, sour and spicy, it ticks all the boxes in my book, I developed it over years tweaking it every now and again.
Everyone should have a lazy day recipe collection to turn to when cooking dinner seems like a huge chore. My sticky wings are healthy at 378 calories per portion / 250G, the recipe is easy to prepare in under 10 minutes, and it is quick roasting at 35 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the wings.
If you want a happy child small or big or if you are suffering from one of those days, don't sweat in the kitchen and have a crack at this recipe. I add steamed broccoli on the side to make the meal complete, but any vegetable does the job.
I know many of my followers cook my recipes so It would be nice if you share your experience.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 50 minutes
Marinating: 3 hours
1-kilogram chicken wings
Chopped green onions
10 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sriracha
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder, optional
2 tablespoons brown sugar
* Preheat the oven 200C fan setting.
* Mix all the Marinade ingredients in a pot on medium heat for 4 minutes and stir until sugar is dissolved.
* Wash and dry the wings then marinade them in the sauces for at least 2 to 3 hours before roasting.
* Place on a tray with all the marinade and roast in at 200 C for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180 C and roast for a further 15 to 20 minutes or until the wings are cooked thoroughly.
* Sprinkle with toasted sesame, chopped spring onions and chilli then serve as it is or with a bowl of steamed rice.
* You use this marinade for any part of the chicken.
* Hoisin sauce can be substituted with BBQ sauce.
* The roasting times are based on small size chicken wings, if your the wings are bigger then allow 10 more minutes or so.
* The wings can marinade up to 2 days.
* Safe for freezing if using fresh non-previously frozen wings. Simply thaw and roast.
Per Serving: 378 Calories; 22g Fat (53.6% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 105mg Cholesterol; 1451mg Sodium.