Baked Mozzarella and Pesto Rings
My sister and her children visited me last week for a week. I always invite over friends who have not seen her in a while, and sometimes I invite some she has never met. So, having her over was the perfect excuse for a party…I just can’t resist. I love entertaining, having people over and cooking for them.
Friday was an early morning start for me preparing for the lunch party feast. By 10:30 I hear the foot steps of all the teenagers flooding into the kitchen one after the other. They all sat in their stools at kitchen counter looking irresistibly cute. They looked so cute together we had to post a picture of them. Of course, Andre, my nephew foodie, reminds me so much of my dad. Food is always on his mind. “Auntie Maha, what are we having for breakfast?” I smile, and head to see what I have in the fridge that is quick, easy and satisfying to all the demanding foodies around me. I grab my pesto, parmesan cheese and mozzarella and answer him “we are having a baked loaf with pesto and mozzarella.” The preparation for this quick fix was as easy as 1, 2, 3 and the execution was just as easy. Thirty minutes later we had a delicious easy hassle-free breakfast. Simple is always good.
1 loaf Italian bread
150 grams pesto sauce
50 grams grated parmesan cheese
300 grams shredded mozzarella cheese
* Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F
* Cut open the bread.
* Spread the pesto sauce on the bottom part.
* Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
* Sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella. You have the option to add more toppings to your desire.
* Place the top part of the bread over, wrap in foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese has melted.
* Cut into 6 parts and serve with a salad.
* Any variety of these breads will work such as baguette, ciabatta, country loaf.
* You can add endless options for toppings such as grilled chicken, sundried tomato, olives, chillies, ham, goat cheese etc.
* For a Middle Eastern twist use my coriander pesto with your choice of topping.
Per Serving: 536 Calories; 30g Fat (50.3% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 986mg Sodium