Garlic Butter Parmesan Puff Twists (Video)
All my friends and family know I love eating healthy foods and always thrive to pick the healthier option whenever I have the choice to, but that does not mean I exclude all foods always. Every now and again we need a break and it is ok to surrender to our food cravings as long as we manage to rein them back.
It is only human that we all yearn every so often for comfort foods – foods that at that moment deliver a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction. This recipe is perfect for both that moment and easy entertaining at the same time. It is a really delicious sharing appetiser. It ticks all the boxes and components of yumminess: it is buttery, garlicky, cheesy and a crispy. I always store a few packages of puff pastry in my freezer as I never know when a last minute friends knocks at my door or when I choose to surrender to a moment of indulgence.
Servings: 1 sharing
- 2 Round rolled puff pastry sheets or 2x200 grams puff pastry blocks
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup butter, unsalted
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Chili flakes
* Preheat oven to 200 C fan setting.
* Melt the butter adding the crushed garlic, salt and chopped oregano. Stir and set aside.
* If using the ready circular rolled out puff pastry simply sprinkle one sheet with the parmesan cheese and a pinch of the hot smoked paprika. Make sure the pastry is laid on a baking paper sheet before topping.
* Lay the second rolled out sheet on top and cut off any hanging excess pastry.
* If using the puff pastry blocks try to push the edges inwards in order to shape it into a disc then roll it out to a thickness of 1/2 cm. Repeat the same with the second block.
* Put a circular glass in the center of the sheet and with a sharp knife cut the pastry into 4 quarters then cut each quarter into thirds.
* Remove the glass and pick the edge of each slice with both hands and twist it 2 to 3 times clock wise. Repeat the process until all 12 are twisted,
* Using a brush coat the twists generously with the garlic herb butter and finish with a sprinkle of chili flakes
* Place on a tray in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely golden brown or follow baking instructions of the puff pastry packaging.
* Serve hot.
* You could substitute the butter with margarine or olive oil.
* Add any herb or cheese combination you desire but don’t over stuff the pastry.
* Try it with zaatar or any type of pesto and for a sweet twist, nutella or Jam.
Per Serving : 2944 Calories; 226g Fat (68.6% calories from fat); 47g Protein; 185g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 197mg Cholesterol; 3307mg Sodium.