Aromatic Basmati Rice Recipe
Basmati rice is known the world over for its varieties and high grade quality. Basmati literally means fragrant rice and of that there is no doubt. The moment the rice grain hits the boiling water, the kitchen fills with its delightful fragrance. My favourite is the extra-long basmati, it cooks marvellously, the grains separate and yet each grain keeps intact and the aroma it releases is mouth-watering. This rice is widely used in Persia, the Middle East and the Arabian Gulf. Influenced by trading routes, it is cooked with different spices, legumes and vegetables and differs from country to country. I always say “simple is best”. If you have a good grain you don’t need to kill the delicate fragrance and mask it with too many spices. For the best results here are my tips:
* Boiling basmati rice for longer periods weakens its fragrance, this is why I find the best way to cook it is to soak it for 10 minutes as it softens the grain and shortens the cooking time.
* Wash it several times before cooking as this gets rid of the starch and helps the grains separate.
* The steaming method retains the aroma.
Basmati rice cooks faster than any other rice so if you are in a rush, this is the rice to opt for.
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/3 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried lime
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon garam masala 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
· Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 10 minutes then wash and drain.
· Place all the ingredients in a pot and add the recommended amount of water per cup of basmati rice written on the packet and follow the recommended cooking time. This method of cooking the rice is called steaming.
· Serve with your favourite cut of meat or fish.
·Once the liquid has evaporated leave the rice to rest, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
·Basmati rice differs from brand to brand so make sure you follow the instructions on the packet.
Per Serving : 328 Calories; 7g Fat (17.9% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1134mg Sodium.