Strawberry Coulis Recipe (Video)
A coulis is a thick cooked, pureed and strained vegetable or fruit sauce. This recipe is a strawberry coulis which is brilliant to use with desserts such as panna cotta, sweet pies, ice-cream, semi freddo, Pavlova, parfaits, smoothies and many more. It is handy to have in the fridge and it is a good way to recycle fruits that are overripe in order to avoid food wastage.
Yield: 300 ml
500 grams frozen or fresh strawberries
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
* Put the sugar, water and strawberries in a pot and cook until the strawberries have thawed and cooked, around 15 minutes. If using fresh strawberries hull them and cut into quarters.
* Place in a blender and blitz to a puree.
* Run through a sieve and store in and air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
* This can be portioned and frozen for up to 6 months.
* A coulis can be made with a variety of fruits which I will share with you in due course, the technique is the same but the water and sugar ratios differ.
Per Serving: 487 Calories; 1g Fat (1.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 130g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium.