Slow Oven Roast Tomatoes
This recipe is a basic back bone sauce in my kitchen. I use it for many of my dishes. The slow roasting process caramelises the tomatoes and the garlic resulting in an explosion of luscious flavours on the palate. This sauce is so delicate in flavour that it never overpowers any other ingredient it is served with.
It can be used with meats as a sauce on the side, as a soup with croutons, as a light pasta sauce or as a spicy dip after adding chillies.
Yield: 1 Kilo
30 medium tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, sliced in half
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt, to taste
1. Cut the tomatoes in quarters removing the seeds and reserving any running juices.
2. Place in oven tray and toss with the salt, garlic and olive oil.
3. Place in a preheated oven 140 c fan setting and roast for one hour and fifteen minutes.
4. Once cooled peel, puree and add the reserved juices and adjusting the salt.
* For use as a pasta sauce simply heat up the sauce, add a few leaves of fresh basil and toss with the pasta finishing it with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
* For a light soup add 1 cup of vegetable stock to every 1 cup of the sauce and let it boil on medium heat for 5 minutes adjusting the salt. Serve with toasted croutons or fried pita bread squares and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
Per Serving : 1279 Calories; 66g Fat (41.5% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 177g Carbohydrate; 41g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 335mg Sodium.