Festive Apple Crumble Cake Recipe (Video)
What is it with Christmas and spice!! I just keep wanting to use cinnamon and spice in everything. This unique cake was made from a handwritten recipe card that my deceased mother in law wrote, probably 45 + years ago. It was passed over to me by my sister in law. I keep this precious card safe at all times. I must say this cake is the best apple, cinnamon and spice cake ever. The blog is coming soon so keep an eye open to get the recipe and please try to make it. You will thank me.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
baking: 50 minutes
Start to finish: 1 hour 5 minutes
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sliced apples
1 cup walnut
* Preheat oven to 160C fan setting.
* Peel and slice the apples into coin size pieces and place them in water with a squeeze of lemon until needed.
* Chop each of the walnuts into four pieces.
* Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl.
* In a glass bowl put the vegetable oil, eggs, and sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until creamy.
* Fold in the sifted flour adding 2 spoons at a time and folding it in a semi-circular motion then crossing through the middle.
* Add the apples and walnuts and mix well.
* Butter a 20 cm diameter silicon round mould then coat it with flour making sure to get rid of the excess flour.
* Pour the batter and top with the crumble mixture.
* Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
* Remove to a wire rack to cool then dust with icing sugar.
* Granny Smith apples are best as the contrast between the sweet and sour from the apples is fantastic.
* This cake is failing proof and can keep covered for 3 days on the counter and 5 days in the fridge.
* Suitable for freezing up to 3 months, just take out and thaw at room temperature.
Per Serving: 473 Calories; 31g Fat (57.1% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 64mg Cholesterol; 361mg Sodium.