Buttercream Icing / Frosting Recipe (Video)
There is nothing wrong with buying ready-made frosting but, believe me, once you have tried the home-made buttercream icing, I guarantee you will never have a ready tin in your kitchen cupboard again. Not only is it easy, but it is also by far tastier and fresher with no additives or preservatives. Your kids will have fun in the kitchen preparing it with you. Use some food colourings and flavours to match the muffins or cupcakes you are frosting. Try adding coconut flavour for icing pineapple and coconut muffins, try adding cinnamon powder for my cinnamon swirl muffins and keep it simple with vanilla for my blueberry muffins and my butternut squash recipe coming out this Thursday. So why not give a go.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Start to finish: 6 minutes
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ tablespoon whipping cream
* Sift the icing sugar and set aside.
* In a bowl and with an electric beater whisk the butter for 1 minute then add the sifted sugar in batches to keep it from flying all over the worktop. Make sure to scrape the sides.
* Once all sugar is incorporated, add the Vanilla and the whipping cream and keep whisking for 2 more minutes on high speed until soft and fluffy.
* Insert into a piping bag and use immediately.
* You can add food colouring and flavours when you add the cream, just omit the vanilla.
* In the case, you need to use it later just cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge, once ready for use place on the countertop until it gets to room temperature then give a quick mix and use.
* If you made too much buttercream icing, just freeze, then thaw and mix when ready to use it.
Per Serving: 3090 Calories; 190g Fat (54.1% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 360g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 517mg Cholesterol; 34mg Sodium.