My Asian Rice Noodle Soup with Caramelized Chicken (Video)
Despite my vivid cooking skills, I am only human like everyone else. I have many crazy days where I am always running a marathon against time, but no matter how busy my day was I always aim to have a nice, warming cooked meal at the table for my family, after all dinner is the only time where we are all under one roof. Soups are my rescue and luckily, we are a family of soup worshipers, especially noodle soups. I am always keen to have all kind of stocks portioned in my freezer ready for days like this, being prepared is half the work and, that is one of my secrets. Asian soups are the easiest, fastest and lip-smacking good on the go to cook.
You can try different marinades for the chicken such as my Korean style chicken or cooking chicken in the style on my dan dan soup or yakitori chicken, or with marinade as in sizzling beef recipe just keep it simple with salt and pepper.
We only need a few good ingredients for a pleasurable experience.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Marinating: 1 hour
500 grams chicken breast
300 grams rice noodles
6 cups Asian style chicken stock
1/2 cup syrup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 stem lemongrass
2 cloves garlic
150 grams bean sprouts
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup crushed peanuts
1/3 cup crispy onions
Red chili, optional
* Split the chicken breast in half horizontally using a sharp knife in order to get a thinner breast.
* Remove the outer tough layers of the lemongrass stem until you reach the tender core. Chop the core finely.
* Chop the garlic and add it along with the chopped lemongrass into a pestle and pound it. Place in a bowl and add the syrup, soy sauce and mix.
* Mix the chicken in the sauce, cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
* Coat a griddle with vegetable oil and grill the chicken pieces on medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. The center should not be pink. Leve to rest covered for 10 minutes.
* Cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the packet, drain and place in the bowl.
* Slice the chicken breast.
* Top the noodles with bean sprouts and add the stock, chili sliced chicken breast, herbs, sliced onions and finish with crushed peanuts and crispy onions.
* If you have no time to prepare the chicken stock or you have not frozen any, you can use ready-made stock.
* Add as many steamed vegetables you fancy to the soup.
* For a vegetarian recipe use a vegetable stock and use firm tofu steak instead of chicken.
* For a gluten free soup use wheat free tamari sauce instead of the soy sauce.
* Any variety of noodles can be used.
* You can cook the noodles ahead of time, but make sure you toss it in oil after you drained it in order to avoid it sticking together.
Per Serving: 712 Calories; 18g Fat (24.1% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 99g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fibre; 68mg Cholesterol; 5068mg Sodium.